Spark Climate Solutions is accelerating progress in emerging climate fields, towards repairing the climate. Spark focuses on underdeveloped solutions that have the potential to help mitigate climate harm, address near-term warming, and contribute to climate repair. Spark takes a systems approach, working with experts and other stakeholders, to accelerate these fields through collaboratively building strategic roadmaps, providing research funding, seeding new organizations, and communicating with the public. Spark’s first focus area is accelerating solutions for near-term warming management, starting with enteric fermentation mitigation, and methane removal. Our team has deep expertise in science, engineering, and climate-focused philanthropy. Spark’s funders include the Grantham Foundation, Quadrature Climate Foundation, Astera Institute, Climate Pathfinders Foundation, and Additional Ventures.
Agriculture produces 25% of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions, as much as electricity generation. Spark is currently working on two of the largest blockers to bring these emissions below zero: a lack of accessible greenhouse gas measurement technology and also solutions for livestock enteric methane production—which is ~25% of global anthropogenic methane emissions, driving ~0.1°C and counting of current warming. Current enteric methane commercial solutions incompletely address the very small portion of methane emissions from cows on feedlots and similar, globally estimated at ~2-5% (but getting better data here is another challenge to address). Addressing the remaining 95%+ requires systematic research, international development, and sociology investments. Spark is very open to adding more agricultural and ecological solutions areas needing ecosystem support as our team expands. The Roadmapping Scientist would help drive roadmapping areas with partnership from other Spark senior scientists and leadership. They would work with the team to translate these roadmaps into climate action via thought leadership, research grant programs, and providing persuasive technical depth to Spark’s collaborations with government and non-profit climate funders.
As with all positions at Spark Climate Solutions, this will be 100% remote. Employees can work anywhere within the United States, or internationally with approval. Our center of gravity is in the SF Bay Area, with a possible option (not requirement) of some in-person work later in 2022.
These are all full-time positions with benefits. The salary range is $90,000-$160,000 / year, depending on location and experience. In addition, Spark Climate Solutions provides exceptional benefits including flexible PTO, sick time, holidays, generous health insurance coverage, and full-covered dental/vision/life insurance, and parental leave.